Thursday, October 14, 2010

For auntie Kath who asks....

....why is it called mono printing?

Def: Monoprinting is a form of printmaking that has images or lines that cannot exactly be reproduced. There are many techniques of monoprinting, including collage, hand-painted additions, and a form of tracing by which thick ink is laid down on a table, paper is placed on top and is then drawn on, transferring the ink onto the paper.

Mono....meaning one....means you only get one print that can't be reproduced exactly. Altho, after I print onto a piece of fabric, I'll get the paint wet again and print a similar piece. The printing looks different on different papers or fabrics. For example, I've printed on plain paper, card stock, magazine paper, and grocery paper bags. Each print looks different. I've also torn up an old cookbook and used those pages to print on too (see pic)...I think it looks cool. It's fun for collaging. Eventually I'll embellish the prints above...they aren't done yet...stay tuned. This is great project to do with kids. I'm planning on doing this with Amy's kids soon.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Thanks! That makes sense. And they really look pretty cool. This is on my list to try.

kat said...

Its very cool looking I especially like the pear